Thursday, March 18, 2010

Khun! Khun! Khun!

Let’s take a break

In amidst of Korean Fever afflux, sometimes people forget about their Thai identity. However, upon seeing Nichkhun Horvejkul, the first and the only Thai who is well-known in Korean Music Industry, they take pride of being Thai once again. Besides, as one of the members of 2PM, the top ranked Korean boyband, Nichkhun has become an inspiration for Koreans to learn Thai language and culture causing ‘Thai Fever’ among them. 2PM is considered the hottest time of day so as NichKhun who now is a hot issue. Overwhelming by works such as presenters and an artist performing gigs, he even told us that ‘I want to take a rest.’ Recently, the Tourism Authority of Thailand picked him Thai tourism ambassador in ‘COME TO THAILAND LET’S TAKE A BREAK’ project to attract Korean tourists to visit Thailand. Therefore, we got a chance to have an exclusive interview with him…
Since he and we both knew how a ‘Break’ important to our life, we introduced him relaxing questions. We hope that the reader can sense the good atmosphere from this interview. If you just free your mind and enjoy the story, we believe that it will be a nice break for you.(At least, you get to see Nichkhun clear complexion!)

NICHKHUN Once Said….
Family

“Being considerate is good since a person cannot live alone in the world. We have to rely on each other, so we should think carefully before we act. Also, we have to be responsible, confident people who are able to love ourselves, and then we will know we have many abilities like we never did. Do not lie to yourself. If something goes wrong, do not keep regretting; do remember and learn form your mistakes and be reasonable. This is the thing My parents tell me all the time because nobody is perfect.’
From The Boy Kimchi magazine March, 2007.

“My parents teach me Buddha teaching and tell me to pray so that I will know that everything is uncertain. Do not be full of yourself. If something bad happens, the time cannot be turned back and do not be sad for a long time. Turn a crisis into an opportunity, my dad always says that. Though I have live aboard for six-seven years, these teachings has kept me to restrain myself”
From Kom Chad leuk April, 2007


“Whenever I wanted a new toy and if I told my dad that my friends got it and I wanted to have one, my dad would ask me ‘is it necessary to your life?’ If you want something from him, you have to do something in exchange. He thought me that if you want anything; you have to work for it.”
SudSubdha Magazine July, 2007

“My dad is not worried about me that much. He knows I can take care of myself because I have done it all along. He trust and understand me since they used to live overseas as well. However, my parents are concerned about my physical and mental health for they knew I have done lots of work unlike friends in the same age. They emphasize that if anything happens, tell them and do not keep it to myself.”
Deli News April, 2007.

Work
“I feel a little bit under pressure due to the fact that people have an expectation but I am glad that they have a trust in me. They believe that I can be a representative of Thai who can stand among other nation’s people. Nevertheless, that depends on me and my opportunity but I am going to do my best. I have said many times I want to turn Korean Fever into Thai Fever. For me, Thailand comes first.”
From Kom Chad luek April, 2007

“I am a man so when I have become a star, women, money and fame came into me. These things will prove how good person I am.”
From Sudsubda Magazine July, 2007

All About NICHKHUN

• Before Nichkhun has become a female heart-throb, he lived in various countries during his childhood. He was born on 1988 at CA, the United States of America and went back to Thailand when he was 18 months old. He resided at a house situated Soi CharanSanitwong 37, and went to Khanchana school in Prannok area till the 4th grade. After that, his parents moved to Putthamonthon area. When he finished his junior high, he continued his study at a famous Catholic School in New-Zealand, founded over 150 years ago. In the end, he returned to the states.

• His beautiful stand-in-line teeth are natural. He did not undergo teeth surgery since he has been notable for bright and tidy teeth since his elementary days. The proof is healthy teeth award given to him in his 4th grade.

• Although He is one of the 2PM members, previously, he was persuaded to enter an audition while he went to Korean artist concert at the states. Accidentally, the artist performing that day was JYP’s. At first, Nichkhun turned down the invitation because I do not know who JYP was. However, when he knew that ‘Rain’ was JYP’s artist, he is interested and accepted the request.

• The audition did not take place at a studio unlike other soon-to-be artist, it happened to be at a Starbuck coffee nearby his residence. He sang O-Town’s ‘All or Nothing’ in front of the passerby. 2 week after that, he got a phone call form the staff to come to Korea and be a trainee.

• Thai pronounce his name as ‘Nich-Cha-Khun’ but to Korean, he is called ‘Nik-Khun’ due to the Hangul letters of his name. Additionally, his Fans named him ‘ theLittle prince of JYP’

• His rising reputation has no other obvious evidence than rankings in which he usually appears. He was ranked 17th of 100 Idol of the year 2009, the 6th place for artist who has got attractive eyes, the 3rd place for the most top ten innocent Idol, 2nd for the male artist Koreans want to married, 7th for the prettiest boy year 2009, 16th for stars causing their fans to rage with Endorphin, the 3rd for stars with whom fans want to go on a vacation. Most recently, he was ranked 1st for stars who has the most kissable lips.

NICHKHUN Once Said…

“If you ask me that ‘Are you considered to be successful?’, the answer is ‘not yet’. It seems that I am only at the starting line. We have just started as 2PM recently. The duration is short so you cannot call it a success. I am like everybody else who have a dream but I am a little more fortunate that I received an opportunity to realize mine. I grabbed it and put my best in every works I have done. This will be the path leading me to success. It is along road so many who may view what I have got today as a success but for me, it is just the beginning.”
Post Today December, 2008.

“The first 2 week I lived in Korea, I keep asking myself what I was doing there. I cannot dance despite the fact that they told me to. I was very tired and embarrassed. I have no dancing skill yet many people watched my awkward dancing. I wanted to go home so I called my parents, asking if I could go back. I had it enough here. My dad said it was okay if I really wanted to do that, but he reminded me that I should think twice; if I worked hard, how far I could go.”

“Sometimes, people get carried away with compliments. It is human nature but my parents and JYP nim always teach me not to be too proud of myself and not to stand still. I think about this all the time. I am quite not satisfied with myself.”

“I did not have any special skills in the first place. The staff chose me because of my physical appearance but I had trained so hard that I was considered good at a certain level. Finally, I was grouped with others. If anyone asks ‘is it because of your looks that make you famous?’ I would say yes. But now I try to improve myself, showing my determination and the best side of me. I am not going to fail or embarrass Thai people. I am going to show my abilities not just the looks.”

“I would like to give thanks to everyone loving and supporting me from the start. In the future, I will aim for the best to excel in acting, singing or whatever skills to make everyone proud of me.”

“I am not going to make Thai to lose their face. I am the country’s representative who has become famous in Korea and I am going to give the best shot, showing that Thai people is awesome.”
Woody, Born to talk program July, 2009.

“All members in 2PMhelp me a lot, not only teach me how to perform but also how to live in Korea. They always tell me to do this and that. They teach me the language which is very important to my career. Without them, I would not come this far.”
Post Today August, 2009

Nichkhun is fond of Thai food. His favorite dishes are Pad Thai, Green curry. Whenever he comes to Thailand, he orders Thai basil chicken with sunny side up fried egg or pork fried rice with lychee juice blend as a beverage.

The meaning of his name is a person who intrinsically pure and good. Besides, He has a brother who is now sensation among the internet users Nichan, as well as, two sisters whose name is Yanin and Chereene.

Nichkhun has impressed both Thai and Korean fans and the public. Mr. Pisanu Nilklad, who is renown among sports’ fans, especially admires Nichkun so much that he wrote his impression about the young boy in his column ‘The insider’ on Matichon weekly.

Nichkhun has created Thai sensation among Korean known as ‘Thai Fever’. He is one of the reasons why Korean fans want to learn Thai language and culture, and most definitely, want to visit Thailand. This year, NichKhun was chosen as Thai Tourism ambassador to attract Korean tourists to take a break in Thailand.

Nichkhun once said …
Relationship

“Men like a girl with pretty face but if I would like to start a relationship, beautiful appearance is not the first priority. She does not need to be pretty. When we start talking, I will know whether she is nice or not.”
SudsabDa Magazines July, 2007.


“I give special importance to marriage since family is the most valuable. When I am ready for it, I might stop doing this job. My family must have their privacy. I do not have a girlfriend now. As I said, I get to see lots of stars and celebrities while working but that is all. I do not exchange my phone number with them, not because of the company’s rules but I think works must come first.”
Post Today August, 2009.

“When I do not have any schedules, I would not like to wear make up, to have my hairs set. I want to wear a cap, a tee with jeans and a flip-flop. I love simplicity; a thing as it is. If I know a woman wanting to go under the knife, I will persuade her not to do it. She should be herself.
Woody, Born to talk program July, 2009.

“I hope my career will be extended to Hollywood movie industry so I have to improve myself. Also tell myself not to stand still and go the distance. It is not just for the sake of me but for the sake of Thai people. I want everyone to acknowledge that I am Thai. I want people seeing my works will not only applaud but give two thumbs-up.”
Deli news October, 2007
20 Questions with NICHKHUN
01. Which occasion does you considered it to be the time to take a break

For a person who has to work all the time, and have so many things to do, I would reflect about what I have done that day and how the result was in case of having so little time. But if I have plenty, I want to travel with my family. If I was in Korea, I would listen to the music, take a look at photos or browse the internet. Nevertheless, being in Thailand is the best break ever even I have to work. I have my family here and it feels like home. Besides I would also have a chance to wander around. I can do whatever I want.


02 Do your bandmates want to visit Thailand?.. To be specific, which part of Thailand do they want to visit?
They want to visit Phuket because I talks always talk about it. When I shot for the commercial, I took many photos. They already gone to Pattaya but I bragged about Phuket that it is ten times more beautiful ‘you have to come and watch it by yourself,’ then I showed them the photos. They want to be there badly.

03 Do you have any particular place you like in Thailand?
It must be Hua-hin. My family owns a house there. When I was young, I usually went to Hua-hin with my family, especially when there was a school break, I love the sea because It such a carefree feeling whenever I look at it.

04 In your opinion, what is an appealing characteristic of Thailand?
Thai Gentleness? Well…it could be Thai people’s atmosphere. We talk in the gentle manner, also our docile expression like Waai. I feel at ease whenever I am in Thailand. I think that, in this world, there is no other place likes Thailand…the way we pay respect others…our kindness.

05 If we only work and do not travel anywhere, what is going to happen?
We might be a billionaire! (Laugh) or our stress would pile up till we cannot think straight. If we get enough of rest, that will help us do our job efficiently.

06 If you could skip your schedule for one day, where would you go and with whom?
(Ponder) Just for a day? Is not it too short? (Laugh) I would go to the sea…maybe Hua-Hin since I have not been there for a long time. Not so far form Hua-Hin, there is Kao Sam Roy Yod where I, my brother and my dad often visited so I think it should be the spot. In the morning, we would eat seafood then go back to Hua-Hin for swimming. In the night, we would go to a market…and then sleep. Upon waking up, I would find myself in Korea once again. (Laugh) If I could choose, my family would be the first choice because we would have so much fun together and they know me best. I feel relax when I am with them.

07 While traveling, which is a thing you cannot live without?
The most important is money, then my sunglasses, sun cream and Mp3. While I was in the car, I like to listen to songs.

08 Which song do you like to listen to while traveling?
Well… I love easy listening songs such as a ballad. It is nice to my ears and I can sing along. I enjoy peaceful environment so I like this style of music unlike dancing music which strong beats are repeated. If you listen to a song, you will reflect more on things, on how is your life? What should we do next? How well are we doing? You will focus more on yourself and are able to assess your performances.

09 Which is the most memorable trip with your family?
My most unforgettable trip is when my whole family went to Plew Waterfall where I and my brother horsed about at rocky area and as a result, he has his head stitched. It was a big deal yet we continued our trip. It was fun since we all went together. We do not have a chance to do it often.

10 How can a person reap most benefits from going on a trip?
Just work hard, play hard. When a person takes a break, he/she must throw away all works in their mind. When we travel just have fun, and when we do our job, make the best out of it.Do not think back and forth because if you do that you will not have fun traveling and you will not be able to work efficiently. (ÊèǹÊÕ¢ÒǹФÐ)Somebody might think while going on a trip that which jobs he should do first when it is over. Do not be worry about thing yet to be happening. Take your time to give a break to your brain and mind so that when you resume to your business, your mind will be fresh and you can work better. I would like to have free time still I have not got a chance.

11 What are your activities around the clock in Korea?
I am very busy because I have to work as 2PM and as a MC. Now, our band is preparing for the new album so I do not have so much time. Usually, I wake up at 6 or 7 am., and then went outside for shooting from 1pm. to10pm. After that, I have to do a performance rehearsal till 2-3 am. I straightly go to bed after I finished the schedule. Next morning, I wake up at 7am. again.

12 What is the most difficult for you working as an artist?
Well…it might be the stress and lack of privacy. There will be many people telling you what you should do or what you should not. What’s more? I have to care about my image and have to keep myself on the track because someone is watching over me. Sometimes it is necessary to contradict myself but have made up my mind that I accept this condition as long as I work as an artist. Whenever I think about the promise kept to myself, everything is alright. I try my best so that I will not let anyone down.

13 Frankly, did you got this kind of thought from the start or is it your work that thought you?
I think it is because I have met lots of fan who expect from me. I am who I am today because of them. At first I was just a boy getting special chance to be here. I was going to gain money, that is what I thought when I was a newbie. I was not aware that I need to preserve my image. I have continued working and have listened to my family’s, fans and acquaintances so I adept myself to be better, not to misbehave. In this industry, people can be easily misled since they are stars receiving a lot of attention. People are able to sway them either way. If you are not good, you gone bad. (Laugh


14 Do you have any tips not to stray out of the way?
I always recall that Thai people place their hope on me. They talks like this all the time. In addition, many people like me so I do not want to let them down. I also think of my family and my parents’ teachings.

15 When you get tired, what reasons make you think it is worth to be here?
Experiences are really worthy. Even I have not succeeded yet, but I understood the concept of working with strong determination, how to get along with other people and I have learnt to try working with them. I am in the group if we are not in harmony, we cannot continue our job. This can be applied to my daily life, for example, if I have to work in an office, the more our unit is united, the better our performances will be. What I have learnt are maturity and experiences gotten form the work.


16 What impress you the most, being in 2PM?
That we are working together like friends. We love each other like a family and we can share everything among us.

17 What is your role in 2PM that completes the group?
My role is PR representative because I appear more in variety shows and talk shows, compared with my band members. Audiences are able to know 2pm through me and follow up our works. I get chances to promote in Thailand too so my Thai language is the advantage that I can get more people to know 2PM.

18 What enables Koreans recognize you as a person who strongly identifies with Thai?

In TV programs, I always say that I am Thai and I try to wear this (point at We Love our King wristband’) with me all the time. Many have asked about it and I explained that the sentence written on it is ‘I love my king’. Thai people really love him so they made the wristband to pay homage. I have been wearing it for 2 years.

19 Does living overseas male you love or miss Thailand more?

Of course, since Koreans show off what they have got in their country, I want to do the same. Being the ambassador is a great opportunity to show what we have got.

20 Please persuade your friends to visit Thailand.

I would like to invite everyone whether you are Thai or a foreigner. I want you to see Thai exquisite culture and to visit many beautiful places. Moreover, I wish you to taste delicious Thai food and to feel Thai’ kindness. I guarantee that you will be impressed. Please leave your traces wherever you like but do not take anything as a souvenir and keep the places visited clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment